Thursday, March 31, 2011

Update to My 'Project Gunwalker' Post

So, 3 weeks ago, I sent an email to my 3 congress-critters: one congresswoman and 2 senators.

Since then, I've got a response from the Congresswoman:

Dear 'Hazmat'

Thank you for contacting me about the death of Border Patrol Agent Brian A. Terry. It is good to hear from you.

As you know, Agent Terry was shot in the line of duty on December 15 2010. Agent Terry's death is the subject of an ongoing investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). I am aware of news reports that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE) is facilitating the transfer of U.S.-origin firearms into Mexico as part of "Project Gunrunner." I am also aware of news reports that Agent Terry may have been shot by one of these firearms.

I realize that many in the public, including members of Agent Terry's family, are frustrated with the lack of information being shared by the federal government on this matter. They are right to be frustrated, especially considering the shocking allegations surrounding both Project Gunrunner and Agent Terry's death. Senator Charles, the Ranking Republican at the Senate Judiciary Committee, has led congressional efforts to get to the bottom of this scandal. I support his efforts to hold the accountable for its actions and will continue to closely monitor developments as the investigations proceed.

Blah, blah, blah, thanks for writing, sign up for my newsletter, blah, blah.

Cynthia M. Lummis
Member of Congress


You get the picture. This was on the 14th. Today, I got a response from one of the senators, Senator Mike Enzi.

Dear 'Hazmat'

The shooting of U.S. Border Patrol Agent Brian A. Terry on December 14 was a tragedy. Diana and I send our prayers and thoughts to his family. His murder is currently being investigated. I will pay careful attention to the results of this investigation.

In the past, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE) has overstepped its authority and Project Gunwalker may fit into this category as well. The Senate Judiciary Committee has oversight of the BATFE and understand the Committee's ranking member, Senator Charles Grassley (R-IA) has been working to get answers about this program from the BATFE. I support his efforts to uncover the truth. I continue to encourage my colleagues to exercise their authority to ensure that not only are our Second Amendment Rights protected, but that our country and those who protect our borders are not put at risk by questionable programs.

Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts and concerns. As the 112th Congress continues I will continue to work with my colleagues to ensure that the Second Amendment is not infringed upon.

Sincerely,
Michael B. Enzi
United States Senator

(bolded emphasis mine)

No comments: