Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Chicken Little Is Back

Squealing. Just like little girls who’ve come across a bug. Only now, it’s normal everyday people exercising their rights. Wow. I mean, really? Guess what folks, as you say, open carry is legal in 43 states (almost 44, Texas is working on it). The only problems encountered are by the open carry person being targeted and harassed by police while doing absolutely nothing wrong. Happened to my cousin at the rehearsal for my wedding last year. Somebody got their knickers in a knot because he had a Taurus 24/7 on his hip. While the cop was nice about and all, it was still irksome when he was asked:

1) Why he was openly carrying a firearm. (Hint: Because I can, was the response.)

2) If he had a concealed carry permit. (Wasn’t aware you had to have a CCP to open carry in SD, but my cousin did have a valid CCP.)

3) Since he had a valid CCP, could he cover up the pistol. (This was June, and about 85 deg out, what clothing does one routinely carry around with them to be able to conceal a medium frame pistol?)

4) Since he couldn’t conceal it, he was asked to remove the pistol and put away. He put it in my truck, alongside my concealed carry piece. (I, coincidentally, forgot my belt otherwise I would have been carrying that day too.)

Fortunately, nothing came of it. In other places, like some places in Virginia, this episode would have landed my cousin in the pokey with some kind of bogus charge hanging over his head and minus his Taurus.

So to rehash what the ninnies are whining about, *GASP* there may be somebody carrying either openly or concealed wherever you go, to include, and I quote:

Sipping hot chocolate with your toddler at Starbucks while a fellow patron openly displays a gun at the table next to you;

Attending a church service with your entire family knowing that the fellow parishioner sitting next to you has a handgun tucked in his belt; or

Boarding a crowded bus with your newborn child with upwards of 5 other passengers openly carrying weapons.

I also take exception to being told I’m not good enough to defend myself in a public place, I have to have law enforcement do it for me. And we all know how well that can work out, right? Law enforcement are the only ones qualified to do that job, right? (h/t to David Codrea for the "Only Ones" files.)

But, reading other related articles from this group, I doesn’t surprise me any. What, with all the pant-sh*tting hysteria displayed in all the other articles on guns from this site, it’s a wonder they have any clean clothes at all. Remember, too that this is a Joyce Foundation-funded Astroturf program. So take what they say with a grain of salt.

No comments: